Let’s make a checklist for SEO best practices. Today the world is at a different level where most people love to search things online, and if you want your website to show up on top of all the other websites, you will have to learn about the best practices in SEO.
But before we get started with SEO best practices, we need to know what exactly is SEO.
What is SEO?
SEO is nothing but Search engine optimization. It is a process or practice to increase traffic to a website. It helps to optimize your content so that the search engine such as Google shows it on top of all the other similar content, which would eventually result in high visibility.
People build beautiful and worthy websites. However, sometimes those websites lack visibility. To avoid this, and to increase the visibility of your website, it is advised to follow SEO best practices.
1. Research about keywords
Research for keywords is the first and foremost thing that you will have to prioritize to gain a perception of the keywords and phrases that your audience searches for. Google or any other search engine will highlight the keywords that the users have searched for. If the keywords match your content, your page will show up in the search results. The more keywords you include, the more visibility it gets. However, you need to keep in mind to use proper keywords to reach the targeted traffic to the web page.
2. Title tags need to be compelling and concise
This means it should be written in such a way that it attracts more audience. It should compel people to click and learn more about the page. Title tags tell the audience what the page is all about. Therefore, it must match the search intent. There should not be any duplication. The title tag should be unique.
3. Meta description
The third most important thing in the list is a meta description tag. Meta description of a page gives a brief synopsis of the entire content. It should be descriptive as well as concise. It is an HTML tag that is required for every website. It must match the search intent and should not exceed 160 characters. It also plays an important role in increasing the click-through rates.
4. Optimizing your Title Tag
It is important that you start your title with the main keyword. The main keyword or the primary keyword means the target keyword. The keyword that will help you reach the targeted traffic. Search engines generally pay heed to the keywords while searching for the page that the audience wants to see. However, the secret behind this is that the keywords that show up early on in the page have more significance. Therefore it is advised to start your title with an impactful keyword. The keyword that you would wish to rank for. Suppose you are trying to rank this particular keyword “SEO expert in Bangladesh”, then your title must include the search phrase – “SEO expert in Bangladesh.”
5. Optimizing your images and site speed.
Optimizing images and site speed comes hand in hand. Images play a very important role when it comes to pulling more audiences to your website because images enhance the user interface. Similarly, site speed is an important part when it comes to ranking your website. The loading speed of a site is one of the ranking factors that search engines put more emphasis on. The site should take very little time to load and reduce wait time for the users who are trying to access the page. Optimizing page and site speed is related because once your images are properly optimized, the site loading speed increases.
Tips to optimize images:
- The image file needs to be compressed properly. The smaller the image, the faster the web page loads. You can use tools like kraken.io, ShortPixel, Tiny PNG, ImageOptim to reduce the size of the images.
- The lazy loading of images is the second most important point in this category. Lazy loading of the images will make the web page load faster than the expected time. In this case, the images don’t load as soon as the web page loads. The images will load once the user starts to scroll and reaches the point where the image needs to be displayed
- Write alt text for your images. The alt text that is used for images should be informative as well as descriptive. The description needs to be concise and make sure to add appropriate keywords.
Tips to optimize site speed:
- The first thing that you need to take care of when it comes to site speed optimization is to know the current speed of loading. There are various free tools available to measure the speed of your page. One of those is Google’s PageSpeed Insights. This tool is extremely helpful. It tells the user what is the current loading speed of the page and if it is considered fast or slow. The other tool that can be used is GTMetrix.
- Once you have installed the tools, you should delete unnecessary plugins and reduce the number of redirects to improve the speed of loading.
- Using lightweight themes for your web page also helps in increasing the loading speed of your webpage. Make sure your themes are well optimized for speed.
6. Internal linking
Internal linking is another very important point for SEO best practices. Apart from being important, it’s quite easy to use. There is only one thing that you need to do while linking internally which is adding a link to one page from another page. No hard work is required here. It is better to add links from high ranking web pages to your web page. This will increase visibility and improve the rank of your webpage.
7. Include Backlinks
Backlinks play a vital role when it comes to the Google ranking system. Google considers backlinks to be one of the key elements for ranking purposes. Backlinks help your web page rank higher in the search results. That being said, it is important to emphasize authoritative backlinks rather than just any other backlinks. To rank higher in the search results, you need to build high-quality backlinks.
8. Improving the user experience of your website
User experience plays an important role in increasing search rankings. For this SEO practice, you don’t have to do much hard work. You just have to make the content readable for the audience. And that can be done by using bullet points and bold letters. But make sure to not overuse them. Paragraphs should be short. That will make the readability a lot easier. Google keeps track of the user experience. Therefore, the web page needs to be visually appealing. The page should have a subtle design. Do use subheadings. Use relevant links. The audience should be interested in your content instead of getting bored while reading it. Only then the traffic to your website will increase.
9. Using Google search console to track your results
You need to set up the Google search console if you want your content to rank higher. There are a few things that you will have to check. These are the performance report, coverage report and enhancement report.
- The performance report will tell you how many visitors have visited and clicked on your web page.
- The coverage report tells you which pages from your website are indexed by Google.
- The Enhancement report will let you know if your website is working fine on mobile devices or anything needs to be improved for it to work fine on mobiles.
10. Publishing high-quality content.
The content that you would publish needs to be unique as well as engaging. Their experience should be good after having visited your web page. The content on your page needs to be interesting as well as it should relate to what the audience is looking for. Just imagine what your reaction would be if you go to a page and don’t find adequate information that suffices your needs. Your audience should not have that kind of experience while visiting your page.
The 10 SEO best practices mentioned above will help your web page to rank higher in the search results and increase high visibility. These practices will help you in getting the targeted traffic to your website.
Also, Read The Other Related SEO Content